So to begin, We all know whats going on in the country right now (at least I would hope, most of us know). Heavy, government things. We decided with everything going on, it’d be safe and best for our family, to make sure we are set to live for at least 3 months, without going to stores, or really just not leaving our house at all. Regardless of where anybody stands politically, our country isn’t doing too well right now. So, I encourage you to prepare your family, in any way that you can!
I will not go in detail about our political stand point on this post, but I don’t mind debating over, or just chatting about it! We are a family who loves to be prepared, and I suppose, likes to be cautious with certain things, as well. That is why we decided to prepare ourselves, a bit. To be honest, in case something fairly, bad happens.
At the end of the day though, our trust is in the Lord. From Him, is where our help and our protection comes from. So we are not, and won’t be found, hiding in fear over what happens around us.
What We Got:
We calculated for a family of 2 adults, and 2 kids (we added an extra kid just in case we have another, when we need all this food!) it would be 6,000 Calories a day, of food for all of us. Adults average out to 2,000 Cals a day, where young kids average about 1,000 Cals. So, we basically just got tons of canned items and shelf-sustainable foods. A list will be put below of items, and quantities.
List of Food:
- 2, 4Ib bags of trail mix
- 2, 10Ib boxes of oatmeal
- 10,18 packs of premier protein drinks
- 4, 6 pack boxes of almond milk (one is coconut milk, to mix it up)
- 2, 5Ib bottles of honey
- 3, 6Ib two packs of Peanut butter
- 1, 36 count box of apple sauce cups
- 2, 64oz bags of Craisins
- 6, 3 packs of 17oz bags of pasta noodles
- 1, 25Ib bag of White Rice
- 3, 12 count boxes of canned corn
- 4, 12 count boxes of canned tomato sauce
- 5, 8 count boxes of Baked beans
- 10, 8 count boxes of canned corn beef hash
- 6, 8 count boxes of black beans
- 1, 8 count box of canned spam
- 5, 12 count packs of canned tuna
- 10, 6 count packs of canned chicken
- “Ready Hour” Brand canned emergency food List: Website Link Here
- 3 cans of Cheesy Broccoli and Rice soup
- 3 cans of Mashed Potatoes
- 3 cans of Homestyle Potato soup
- 3 cans of Travelers Stew
- 3 cans of Black Bean Burger
- 3 cans of Corn Chowder
- 3 cans of Chicken Flavored Noodle soup
- 3 cans of Creamy Chicken Flavored Rice
- 3 cans of Potato Cheddar soup
Extra Emergency Supplies:
We didn’t just get food, we also got some extra, basic, household medical supplies, and a bit of camping equipment. These things we would have eventually gotten anyways, but we definitely wanted them on hand, now. One thing we commit to, is none of this food will sit on our shelf, and go bad. Most of these items we already use daily, so we will constantly be switching out older dates, for newer dates.
I recommend, if you do get food for emergencies, get items that you eat daily, or plan to eat, so that way you can switch old ones out for newer ones, if they’ve sat for a long time. It would be a huge loss if any of this went bad, for no good reason.
List of Medical and Camping:
- Medical Supplies:
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Hand sanitizer
- Alcohol (not for drinking)
- Cold/flu medicines
- Allergy medicines
- A variety of different bandages and wraps
- A Tourniquet
- An Oximeter
- A Thermometer
- Bug Bite suction tool
- Burn and Itch spray
- Ointments/Creams (Neosporin, Hydrocortizone, Anti-septic, etc)
- Epsom Salt (12Ib box)
- Not medical, but reusable cloth diapers for little ones! (linked here)
- Camping Equipment:
- Set of 2 Pots
- Set of 4 camping utensils and dishes
- Propane camping grill
- A couple Water filtration systems
- Sleeping bags (rated for 0* degree)
- Bear Spray
- Walkie Talkies
We also have essential oils; lavender, tea tree, and a few other helpful ones (I always liked to add those to creams and ointments), and some calendula balm for cracked/dry skin, but we already had those on hand. All above, is just a basic list, of our items. We hope to encourage you with this list, to prepare your own family. We are not doing this because of fear, we are doing this because we want to be smart and equipped for the future- whatever it may hold.
If you don’t notice how hateful the country is becoming, how freedoms are being stripped from people (whether you personally, like those people, or not), I encourage you to look around, to research, to test everything against God’s word. However, if you do notice, like most people are starting to, do not cower down in fear. Find community with like-minded people, stand strong in your faith, and don’t back down.
Psalm 100:3 (ESV) “Know that the Lord, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.”
If you are afraid of the pandemic and/or government, and the dark pressures you feel from it, don’t be! Stand strong, in the Lord. Even when all seems lost financially, emotionally, or even physically, He will provide, just have faith in Him.
The Lord is greater than a sickness, a vaccine, a president, a government, a job, a country, I mean you name it, He is Greater than it.
Proverbs 3:5 (ESV) “Trust in the Lord with all your heart , and do not lean on your own understanding.”